For a refreshing and balanced #summermeal, try making a #fitandfresh cold salad, like this lentil salad! You can change the taste by changing the cilantro to parsley, basil or mint, or by changing the vegetables or cheese.
I'm busy. I don't have time to make a new meal every day. So to make life easier, I'll often make this on the weekend, and have it for a refreshing #bespokenutrition dinner and also a lunch or two throughout the week to make life easier. It is best eaten cold, its an all-in-one meal that I sometimes find myself eating on the road or in a rush. No need to make any sandwich, and this doesn't get soggy.
Ingredients (4 servings):
1lb chicken legs, thighs or breasts
2 Bay leaves
5 cups water
1 cup lentils
3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
1 bunch (around 2/3 cup) of fresh cilantro , chopped
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces queso cotija or feta cheese, crumbled
Make it Mediterranean- change the cilantro to basil, the bell pepper to tomatoes, and the feta cheese to mozzarella.
Best part? It can be just as tasty as a vegetarian or vegan option, its #glutenfree, and can be adapted to suit many cultural preferences. Talk to me for other variations.
1. In a pot, boil chicken pieces with bay leaves in water, around 1 hour.
2. Remove chicken from the water and let chicken cool.
3. Using the remaining water (there should be around 4 cups), bring lentils and water to a boil, cook 30 minutes until tender, then drain the extra water.
4. While the lentils are cooking, chop or shred the chicken into smaller pieces.
5. Add shredded chicken, pepper, onion and cilantro to lentils.
6. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
7. Just before serving, add oil, lemon juice, garlic and cheese. Mix and serve.
You can eat this meal by itself with a spoon or put it in lettuce to make a nice wrap.
One serving contains about 275 calories and 25g total carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, and 19g protein.